On the personal front, I have a new roommate. Her name is Clio—named for the Muse of History. She is mostly Shih-Tzu, six months old and a bundle of energy. She is starting to make my gym membership look redundant.
In Clio's honour, this newsletter's quiz and jumble will be all about dogs.
On the writing front, I've had two new publications. Five Can Keep A Secret is a mystery/suspense, released through Whimsical Publications.
It's listed on Amazon at --https://goo.gl/eXq7gJ
And Amazon Canada at--https://goo.gl/NpfU8F
If anyone would like a copy to read in return for an honest review, please send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you a mobi or EPub or PDF, whichever is your preference.
And Amazon Canada--https://goo.gl/sP4Abi
And now for the Quiz. Let's see how many you can get right. The answers are at the bottom.
1. What is the name of the child star in the original movie Lassie come Home? Is it —a) James Mason, b) Roddy McDowall, or c) Jimmy Stewart?
2.How many teeth does an adult dog have? Is it— a) 42, b) 36, or c) 28?
3.How many breeds of dogs are recognized by the American Kennel club? Is it— a) 189, b) 355, or c) 224?
4.In the TV series, what breed of dog is Columbo's pet? Is it—a) Dalmation, b) Basset Hound, or c) Irish Setter?
5.What is the length of gestation for a female dog? Is it— a)Approx 63 days, b) approx. 45 days, or c) approx. 92 days?
6.What breed of dog has a black tongue? Is it—a) Basenji, b) Newfoundland, or c) Chow chow?
7.What is the name of the lead dog in the movie 101 Dalmations? Is it—a) Pongo, b) Poncho, or c) Poochie?
8.What is the name of the dog in Dashiell Hammett's mystery series featuring Nick and Nora Charles,? Is it—a) Comet, b) Neptune, or c) Asta?
9. What breed of dog doesn't bark? Is it—a)Basenji, b)Norwegian Elkhound, or c) Greyhound?
10.Which breed of dog has six toes on each paw? Is it—a)Rhodesian Ridgeback, b) Norwegian Lundehund, or c) The Pharaoh Hound?
Now for the Jumble: Can you unscramble these twelve dog breeds?
1. D E R I L A E A
2. D O L E R B A D L O A
3. W L E R T O R T I E
4. Z U N H R S C A E
5. H I H A C H U U A
6. J I N S B E A
7. T E A M E L U M
8. N O U L B O D O D H
9. G E E S N I P E K
10. T A M N A D I A L
11. V E N A S E H A
12. D U N F E N W A N O D L
And now for the answers to the quiz.
1. The answer is b). Roddy McDowall played the role of Joe who lost and regained his beloved dog. He went on to a long career as an adult actor and is probably remembered most for the Planet of the Apes series.
2. The answer is a) 42. Puppies have only 28 teeth which begin to fall out after a few months to make room for the 42 adult teeth.
3. The answer is a) The American Kennel Club recognizes 189 distinct breeds of dogs.
4. The answer is b). It is a Basset Hound. He appeared in several episodes and was never called anything other than 'Dog'.
5. The answer is a) The gestation period from the time of conception to birth is approximately 63 days.
6. The answer is c). The Chow chow is known for his blue-black tongue.
7. The answer is a). Pongo is the name of the sire of the original batch of puppies.
8. The answer is c) Asta. If you do crossword puzzles, you will probably have got this one. It is often used as a clue.
9. The answer is a) Basenji. The Basengi isn't mute, but it makes a sort of yodelling sound rather than a regular bark.
10. The answer is b) The Norwegian Lundehund typically has six toes on each paw.
And answers to the Jumble
That's all for this month; I hope you'll visit me at my web page and blog at www.sharonmcgregor.com
Or my Facebook Author Page—Facebook.com/SharonMcGregorAuthor.
Thanks for stopping in!