But in one of my moments of introspection, I discovered that the achievements in my life which gave me the most pleasure at the time were the ones from my childhood.
The top of the list goes to learning to-
1. Tie my shoelaces by myself.
2. Mount a horse in the middle of a field without benefit of a saddle.
3. Call a dog or horse to me by whistling with my fingers
4. Complete a full round of jackknife without once missing a throw.
5. Walk a pole fence without falling off.
6. Discover that eating chokecherries and milk together don't make you sick.
7.Make a whistle from a caragana pod.
8.Swing willow trees.
9. Win a whole bag of agates from my cousin while playing marbles.
Oh, and did I say read?
Compared to the utter joy of these experiences, anything to come later in life pales in comparison.